Do you have a fussy eater ? How do you encourage your child to try new foods? Introducing the Tapas Lunch for kids !
Living in Melbourne I am spoiled with restaurant choices but Tapas restaurants are one of my favourites. I enjoy sharing small portioned plates of delicious hot and cold foods with my friends. The dishes just seem to keep coming out of the restaurant kitchen ! I love the combination of food flavours (especially with a glass of wine or sangria) and you get the chance to try new foods that you may otherwise not try if ordering a full meal. So, if trying to encourage your kids to try new foods, why not try a ‘Tapas Lunch’ ! It is a great healthy packed lunch solution and offers variety, small portions and colour.
It is easy to create a kids Tapas Lunch using the Yumbox Leakproof Bento or the Boon Trunk and Cargo lunch boxes. The end result is a variety of bite sized portions, colourful presentation and a healthy, balanced meal. Why not use the following suggestions as a guide…..
- Protein: ham slices, sausage slices or cabana, meatballs or eggs.
- Dairy: cheese is always part of a tapas menu. There are so many delicious cheeses available and a great source of calcium for growing bones. The Yumbox also has leakproof compartments so you can include yoghurt in your Tapas Lunch knowing it won’t leak into the other compartments.
- Grains: small, bite sized sandwiches are fantastic in a Tapas Lunch. Use wholegrain or wholemeal bread and add some fun by using a Lunch Punch sandwich cutter to create flower, car, jigsaw, cupcake, butterfly or elephant shapes. Homemade savoury muffins or zucchini slice are also fantastic lunch box ideas.
- Vegetables: carrot, celery, cucumber and capsicum sticks are quick and easy to prepare and add fantastic colour to your child’s Tapas Lunch. Add some cherry tomatoes for a splash of red or for the adventurous child, pop in some olives too !
- Fruit: we are blessed with delicious fruit in Australia so choose whatever is in season. Small, bite sized pieces of apple, watermelon, pineapple, mango, cantaloupe (melon) or whole strawberries or grapes are a great addition to a Tapas Lunch and fit well inside the Yumbox. Pop in some sultanas too !
So, this weekend when you are preparing your grocery shopping list, make sure you include some foods that would be great in your child’s Tapas Lunch this week ! Salud ! (cheers in Spanish !)